Coo Coo Ca Choo...

Ok, if you've been reading my postings, you know that I'm a bit behind...and you also know that I "bolted" down to D.C. Labor Day Weekend (Riding alongside pal Cath M. - she in the broken chair on the brand new bus!) to have some fun with one of The Best Damn Running Partners That Live Nowhere Near Me, Kerry. And, if you haven't been reading my posts, shame on you! (LOL) Either way, now you'll know what I was up to LD weekend.

I arrived on the scene in D.C. late afternoon and Kerry and I had a simple plan: wrap up some last minute party errands (her big thirty-faux b-day bash was happening at her pad Sunday night); go to the Nats/Braves game; and then a quiet night wind up to the night since we had an early wake up call to run the Nike Human Race virtually, before the day would become too hot.

Most of the day/night went as planned, but there was a turning point in the night. C'mon you all know what I'm talking about - the kind that is so unexpected, the kind that leaves you with images and memories that'll have you bust out laughing at the mere mention of the evening, usually during a very important corporate kind of meeting. And, as all good Catholics know, no fun goes unpunished - so these kinds of shenanigans are usually followed by some kind of pain and naturally, good old fashioned guilt!

The Nats game was a lot of fun and we had phenomenal seats behind home plate, but even those couldn't keep our badunkadunks into the 10th inning. With it being about 10:15pm, we decided it was time to head back home for a quick beer on the porch so that we could get a good night's sleep before the big 6 mile race.

That was a really "neat" idea, but here's the bullet point version of what really happened:

As soon as we walked out of the concourse of Nationals Stadium, we were bombarded by a few "rickshaw"/"pedicab" divers. You know these guys - the ones that bike tourists around town?
So, we hopped on - it seemed the natural thing to do and later this would be known to Kerry as one of her best birthday gifts ever.

Luke L. was our "driver" and the convo with him went something like this:

Kerry: God, you must be annoyed by driving us. Are we too heavy?
Luke L: It''s better than the three big, fat drunk guys I usually end up taking after the game.

He begins to cycle us up a hill and he's sweating more profusely than you can even imagine. Think this: he looks like he jumped in a pool with his clothes on.

He suddenly begins peddling like a maniac up a very steep hill.

Annie (wanting to relieve the poor guy, stands up): Oh jeez, you want me to get out and run alongside? I can do that.
Luke (Obviously wanting a massive challenge, certifiably insane and emphatically replies): No, don't do that. Don't get out. Sit down. I got it.

From the side of the road we hear two women yell, "You go girls!"

We bust out laughing uncontrollably. Kerry then sees the bar front for The Ugly Mug and tells Luke L., our new BFF (and now are Facebook friend) that it's OK, we'll get out of the pedicab, but not without taking pics with him first to prove that a guy one quarter of our weight was able to peddle us up a hill and survive!

So, into The Ugly Mug we went and a few things that crossed our paths included a fake bouncer; some young military men (we''ll call one of them "Joe" and the other "Cory"); some dancing to Lynyrd Skynryd; and two random dudes that clearly were hiding in the closet - metaphorical closet, that is - we weren't hanging out near a coat check. But, like all great nights amongst friends we finally called it a night when we knew we'd both had enough and at 2:30am we found ourselves where else? Sitting on the kitchen counter having a night cap and eating some nice dry pretzels. All right, is it just me or does everyone else end up in the kitchen with their friends whether it be at a party, late night or just having a cup of coffee, no matter how big a place is? It's where great conversations are made.

By the time we hit the hay it was no earlier than 3:30am. My first wake-up call came at 7am in the way of Kerry's cat knocking a lamp on my head. I was cramped on the couch and too tired to care so I left the lamp wedged in between the couch and the end table and fell back into a deep sleep. Then, what seemed like minutes later, I was awoken by a loud thud followed by some galloping feet down the stairs.

I didn't get it. It was as if Kerry had a full night's sleep, but me, not so much. It was 9am and she told me had to get out he door to run the Nike Human Race before it got too hot. There was no way I would be able to do the race - I needed some time. I was exhausted, my head was throbbing and I believe I had a wad of cotton stuck in my throat. I sat up (slowly) and after an hour and a half of shooting the sh*t (read: rehashing the previous evening's events) taking three Motrin, drinking about 24 oz. of water and eating a few handfuls of goldfish crackers, I was ready to go. Kerry and I have our own version of what a breakfast for champion is!

Yeah, yeah, it was now about 85 degrees, but these things happen. So, off we went to Haines Point, both ready with our Nike + systems and we were off! Kerry, a faster runner than me, was kind enough to pace me for the first four miles. Then, like a bat out of hell, she was gone and left me with the gnarley feeling of wanting to blow chunks at mile 5. With the guilt of staying up way too late the previous night (I mean, was I still 21?!) I persevered, finished it (behind Kerry) and actually felt OK, in fact a bit elated.

Blah, blah blah...the day continued....we ate big fat greasy burgers, replenishing every calorie we had just burned plus more; stopped at the party store to pick up a pinata (yes, you read that right, a pinata) and me, of course I napped! (I was a louse of a friend sleeping while Kerry prepped for her big bash alone!)

I eased into the party slowly and it was great everything from the pinata; to meeting some great people; to cutting up the rug to classics such as Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline and Tom Petty's American Girl. Then, little by little the guests all left and I happily resumed my position on the couch, while "Tons of Fun" Connor finally called it a night.

So, up again early the next morning. This time I was the one banging on Kerry's door jolting her from a sleep (there she is on the left!) She dropped me off at the bus stop, but not before she laughed so hard her coffee came out her nose (a snarf!) Seriously, if not for that alone, what are friends for? And that to me was worth all the Catholic guilt and lack of sleep I was suffering from! I waved goodbye and bolted back with Cath M. with another adventure behind me and without a doubt some more to come...coo coo ca choo!
PS: Jess, we missed you and are looking forward to Vegas Half (well Marathon for you) 12.7.08!

Comments

Anonymous said…
that boy looks too small to pull a chicken fried rice downhill! and what is this facebook craze?
Anonymous said…
You know I was going to go looking for this one LOL! Fantastic story! Makes me miss DC and the young military men....

Popular Posts