The First Time I Got High...

On Running!

First things first. I've started this blog for many reasons, but mainly to motivate me to RUN, RUN, RUN this summer, esp. for the 7 mile Cigna Falmouth Road Race I'll be doing on August 10th on The Cape to raise money for The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (Help me reach my fundraising goal by clicking here!) as well as to honor fellow Stonehill Alum, Lindsay Briggs ('08).
BUT, GreatFridays blog is still going strong and expect more posts soon from Suz & I!

I'll post here whenever I'm inspired and will remind you each Sunday night to have a peak at the latest and greatest! I also encourage you to offer running tips - anything from food, drink, recovery, etc. (Jess D., I know you have some great recipes up your sleeve; and Kerry C., you gotta share your secrets for quick and seamless recoveries!)

I Run Because I Can.
Some days I run quickly and some days I run slowly, but I Run Because I Can. Quickly and slowly - it's all relative - my fastest could be someone else's crawl and vice versa. But I'm out there running Because I Can ... pounding the pavement, many early mornings or late nights looking at the gorgeous NYC skyline, lost in thoughts and whatever's on my mind. I'm blessed to be healthy enough to run ... so I Run Because I Can.

Why'd I start running? My dad. I was a natural gymnast from the womb, never a natural runner, but my dad encouraged me nonetheless. He's an ex-Marine and ex-FBI agent and running was just a way of life for him. He's not like me...he doesn't have the itch/obsession/need to participate in organized road races for validation (and the free T-shirt!), but 4 or so days a week I find him running 5+ miles on the treadmill. At 67, I'd say that's damn good!

The First Time I got High
... on running it was 1979 and there I was at the start line of my very first road race in my hometown of Eastchester, New York. I wasn't even "double digits" yet, but I was every bit the competitor and when I heard the start whistle blow, I was off and running! I raced through the windy streets and up the steep hills and finally there it was, the Finish Line within reach at Eastchester High School's track. My "fans", AKA local neighbors and family members, were clapping and cheering me on, pushing me to finish with a sprint! It was sweet relief to cross and that was it - - I was hooked.

So, there I was panting and breathless with that "high" engulfing my body. I assumed my dad was standing by with an icey cold drink to quench my thirst. Instead, and I shit you not, he smiled, waved me over and handed me a warm Cream Soda! (I'm sorry if I just made anyone throw up in your mouth!) I still love you though dad - - it's the thought that counted! Really, it was. (Ok, but, I can't say that without gagging!)

This was just the beginning of many more steps, sweat and hard work through the streets of many cities in the U.S. and around the world ... but never, ever, ever since has there been cream soda at the finish!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Go get 'em AV! I can't think of a better cause or a better person to carry it through. I am rooting for you....but please, make some time in your schedule for our writing sessions, ok???
xo, Suz
Anonymous said…
NICE JOB, gal! I'm really excited for your new blog and am thrilled about your upcoming race. You've inspired me to lace up my 'sneaks' and take a good run this evening. Bravo!
Anonymous said…
Annie,
I'm back from the west coast. I missed this old place! Need to know wht you did w/sript! LOVE the new blog. Very YOU, no offense but I like it ALL you!
xo,M

Popular Posts